Seminar by The Dagbladet Politiken and Retssikkerhedsfonden in collaboration with Danish Rehabilitation and Research Centre for Torture Victims (RCT), International Commission of Jurists, Danish section (ICJ), and European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights (ECCHR) and open debate on "Cooperation and Torture" to take place. The meeting will be held in English.
1. International Human Rights Law: The scope of the prohibition of torture and secret prisons. Assistant Professor Jonas Christoffersen (ICJ)
2. Experiences from an Italian prosecutor: Armando Spataro, Milano, Head of the anti-terrorism department
3. Use of torture and secret prisons: Gavin Simpson, speciel investigator for Dick Marty, Council of Europe.
4. Conclusions from the conference in Berlin October 2007 ”Torture and the War against Terror”: Attorney at Law Wolfgang Kaleck (General Secretary of the ECCHR).
5. The Danish Governments and the investigation from the Council of Europe: Former minister of foreign affairs, Mogens Lykketoft.
The meeting will start and end with an address from the chairman of Retssikkerhedsfonden, professor Ole Espersen, who will also inform the audience about the continuation of the seminar, which will take place on Wednesday the 23rd of January 2008 addressing issues regarding the Danish authorities possible exchange of information with states known to be using torture.